25 Mar 2014

Malmstrom of Sackville Street, Black City Coat

It was with great anticipation that I opened the parcel that arrived today from my favourite Chap Outfitter: Savvy Row - the brilliant online vintage clothing store owned by the British gentleman Paul Tiernan.
I had ordered a most beautiful vintage 1952 bespoke city coat.

And the coat is everything I expected: beautiful craftmanship by bespoke tailors Malmstrom of Sackville Street, London. The fit is perfect and the coat is indeed a rare find. I feel very honoured and lucky to have this beautiful coat in my wardrobe!

The fabric is black wool with a subtle herringbone weave and the collar is silk velvet in a midnight blue.

Vintage charcoal three-piece suit, Homburg, city coat, pink shirt, wine selftipped silk Antonio Muro tie, and black Oxford captoes. 

I assume that the coat is commisioned by the same man that had my vintage evening tails made:
The evening tails are made in October 1951 and this city coat is made in January 1952 by the same tailors. The coat has the exact same lenght as my evening tails and thereby fulfills my need of a proper formal coat. The coat and the evening tails both have the beautiful decorative cuffed sleeves.
The name of the gentleman ordering the garment has been cut of from the coat, which might be because he actually died in between the evening tails and the coat entered the vintage store.

Beautiful detailing: cuffed sleeves (picture from Savvy Row)

Impeccable black cloth with a subtle herringbone weave (picture from Savvy Row

Bespoke tailors Malmstrom of Sackville Street, London. The name of the man who commisioned the coat has been cut out.



2 comments:

  1. A great addition to any wardrobe. Congratulations on your purchase!

    ReplyDelete