26 Apr 2014

My 1963 Hammond & Boyle three-piece suit

It's been a while since I won this lovely vintage bespoke suit at a very good price at Ebay. But now I had the chance to share the suit with you. It is a beautiful DB business suit in charcoal with subtle stripes. Made by Hammond & Boyle bespoke tailors of 22, Quebec street, London. It was made in the month and year of the assassination of J.F. Kennedy; commisioned by a gentleman of Scottish ancestry.
I love the high waist of the trousers which almost reaches the hight of a fish tail at the back; very comfortable.
I feel just adequately tall and slim to bear the high cut DB; helps that the legs are cut slim.
The only alterations that had to be done for a perfect fit was shortening the sleeves.

DB Charcoul suit and Bow tie from Le Noeud Papillon

Double cuff shirt from Stenström's

Braces from Drakes London

A beautiful suit at a very good price. Bought at Hogspear

I discovered this little newspaper notice in my research on Hammond & Boyle. Interesting to learn that mr. Hammond bought the company and kept the name in 1906. About 70 years later the tailors finally closed the business.

Alfred Hammond buying out Boyle in 1906 keeping the Company name intact

4 comments:

  1. To say that I'm jealous, would be quite an understatement. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fit is perfect for you. Was is altered for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niels! I had the suit sleeves shortened by 0.5" - and nothing else. Waist, shoulders, the waistcoat where all perfect. Some might argue that 0.25" should be taken of the lenght of the trouser legs, but I think it is Ok as is. I was quite lucky and the seller did a good job giving correct measures in the description of the suit. Regards

      Delete