29 Jun 2014

Cricket whites from Fox Brothers

Ever since I first laid my eyes on the beautiful white flannel cloth from Fox Brothers I knew I had to have a pair of trousers made. I was working on my own high waisted pattern when The Merchant Fox offered ready made white cricket flannels - made from the 13 Oz cloth. Tailored in England by a British supplier of military attire.
So I went for a pair of RTW cricket flannels - all though priced a bit lavish for my budget.

Playing croquet in the garden on a sunny afternoon.


The trousers come unhemmed - unfortunately a bit too short for making cuffs (I'm a 31½" inner leg man). The rise is approx. 11" and leg opening approx. 8"1/4.
Which gives a pair of trousers that does not have that modern hip waist, but also not quite high waisted enough for my vintage waist coats. But the flannels look great with my cricket jumper and the Cambridge Blue.
I have added brace buttons myself as I prefer braces.
The cloth is absolutely marvellous and you might get addicted to the feel of the soft flannel. Mind you though that you have to wear undergarments and stockings in neutral colours not to show through the flannels.





Enjoying a glas of Cava after games. The Cambridge Blue gives warmth and comfort after the strains in the croquet field.

The white flannel cloth is available at The Merchant Fox by the metre and eventually I will have my own pair of high waisted, full cut and cuffed trousers made.

From The Merchant Fox

Cricket whites en masse; early 20th century.

Now I am of course on the lookout for a pair of white canvas boots...
A pair of vintage 30s/40s boots at Etsy

Vintage boots at a photo shoot. Boots rented from London based Carlo Manzi, 

No comments:

Post a Comment