25 Aug 2014

The Cheaney "Edinburgh" revisited

When I purchased my Cheaney "Edinburgh" longwing brogues a little more than a year ago I took a few photos to be able to follow the development in the condition and colour of the upper leather and general wear to the soles.
The shoes are very versatile - I use them for worsted suits, for tweeds and for flannels. They have become one of my favourites and as such used in average twice per week.

A brandnew pair of Cheaneys fresh arrived


Today after 14 month's of regular use I will make a status; I am very satisfied with the overall condition. The rubber tip at the heels are not yet up for replacement; the leather soles are in a quite good condition - even though a bit worn at the toe. I think that the creases in the upper leather are at an acceptable level.
And of course I love the deep rich colour obtained over time by applying a darker Havana brown shoe polish.
I apply vax or shoe cream in between each use; I use shoe trees; I let the shoes rest at least a day after each use and finally I occasionally apply leather oil to the sole.
Oh.. and I use galoshes to protect soles from heavy rain or salt during Winter.

You might also be interested in these blog posts from last year:
Shoe-polish-daily-recreational-activity
leather-oil-for-shoe-soles

The hue has been altered over time due to several layers of Saphir Medaille D'Or glacage #34 Havana-Brown

The stiches in the sole are not yet fretted





When I need new heels or a full refurbishment I will bring the shoes to the renowned Fifth Avenue Shoe Repairers in Goodge Street, London. They have the skills and experience to handle such tasks. And as a non-UK resident with no nearby Cheaney stockists I cannot utilise the Cheaney Refurbishment Service.




No comments:

Post a Comment