16 May 2015

The Grey Morning Coat

This Ascension Day we celebrated my 13-year-old nephew. The scene was set for a semi-formal grand garden party at my Sister's; blue sky, light Cumulus Humilis and 15 degrees Celcius.
Family came from near and far to celebrate my nephew William confirming his faith in God as Lutheran tradition prescribes.

Given the dress-code (wear your best) and the weather conditions I chose to wear my mid-gray pick&pick morning coat. My grey morning coat is not quite as warm as my heavier black 1930s morning coat.
I gather my vintage grey coat originally was part of a grey morning suit traditionally worn at lesser formal events like the races etc.; but as only the coat survived I choose to see it as inter-changeable with the black morning coat (I hope I do not insult too many people with this choice)

At this party I matched the coat with a pair of formal black & white flat-fronted houndstooth check trousers and a dark grey waistcoat; white shirt with a detachable wing collar and white spats; navy/wine striped Shantung silk tie and a grey top hat. Black captoe Oxford shoes, obviously.

Mum and I at the party

The vintage flat fronted black/white houndstooth check trousers from Moss Bros, Covent Garden


Vintage grey pick&pick morning coat


Grey kid leather gloves


My nephew in a mid-grey morning suit just outside the village church 

An odd party taking a stroll in the neighbourhood 

My daughter, my son, my spouse and I at the party. Notice Asger and I wearing matching boutonnière flowers

My sister arranged a splendid garden party 

The village celebrated the youngsters on Ascension Day and flags were raised along the High Street as tradition prescribes.

No comments:

Post a Comment