28 Dec 2015

The Yule-tide spirit at Glücksburg Strandhotel

As my wife and I were neither invited to Skeldings Hall nor had plans for Monte Carlo we went to our favourite hotel in Schleswig-Holstein, Strandhotel Glücksburg, to commend the Yule-tide Spirit.
Five days of excess living at the adorable 4-star hotel next to Flensburg fiord.
The restaurant though not having any stars yet is mentioned in the Michelin guide; quite deservedly.

Such a stay calls for substantial luggage including several pairs of shoes and boots; tweed suits for the countryside; flannels and worsted suits for the city of Flensburg; and Dinner suit and Evening Tails for evenings. Furthermore a myriad of accessories including umbrella, walking and shooting sticks.

Dining in the restaurant "Felix"

Enjoying a pre-dinner Aperol Spritz
Attending to my detachable collars. A selection of wing and round collars were part of the luggage brought to Glücksburg

On the 25th I wore my evening tails for dinner. The other days I wore my Dinner suit.

Detail from the hotel

The hotel is virtually placed on the beach. Built in 1872

Going for a walk along the sea-side

Posing in the hotel lobby

Walking in the old cemetery. Black city coat, black Oxford shoes, grey spats, black Homburg.
This is a war memorial from 1850; Isted-løven

Sea-view from the room

My suitcases; alongside this I brought my suits in dust bags on hangers





6 comments:

  1. Rather a genteel hotel stay. Did you get any odd looks dining in a dinner jacket, or is the clientèle of a better class at Strandhotel Glücksburg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not notice any odd looks, but I was the only one wearing Dinner suit. On the 24th all gents wore a suit or a blazer, but the other days dresscode in general was shirt and trousers.
      So no, sadly even at this hotel men does not think much of dressing properly.
      I believe the other guests ( at least the ones we spoke with) accepted my dresscode as it was quite consistent with the task ahead at all times; breeches and boots for mudd; tweed for the countryside; worsted suits for city; and dinner suit for dinner.
      So logic to me

      Delete
  2. It is magnificent that you hold on to your style. It is difficult to find places with dress code these days (except for private or special events). The Ritz in London is one of these places, but even there the rules were changed five years ago. Some of the regular customers were furious, but these rules are still existing:

    "DRESS CODE

    Reflecting the elegant nature of the hotel’s architecture The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant and Terrace. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is suitable. Please note that trainers or sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club’s restaurants or bars."

    By the way: What did you wear on New Year's Eve?

    All the best for 2016 from FBJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather a shame that the occasions in which people dress their best diminishes by the day.
      New Year's party was held in my private home and I was the cook; a good 6-7 hours I spent cooking, so when my sister and brother-in-law arrived I just kept to a plain white shirt, charcoal suit trousers and a black bow-tie; well-polished black Oxford captoes and black wool-silk OTC socks.
      Usually my brother-in-law sticks to either work clothes or a check hunting shirt.
      Sorry to say that I skipped the usual standards on the last night of 2015.

      Delete
  3. Greetings from Downunder and happy new year to you and the family. I look forward to your photos very much. All the very best,
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ian, thank you very much! A happy New Year to you and your's, too.
      All the best
      Lasse

      Delete