3 Sep 2016

Handmade caps from TheTitfer

I have for the past couple of years had but a single cap that I use for my country attire; the Bond style flat cap from Pakeman, Catto & Carter in a brown-greenish Fulbrook tweed; I like the generous cut and the long peak and the shape has only improved over the course of time.
I do have more caps (flat and newsboy style) in my wardrobe,  but none of them proved to fit me properly in daily use.
So naturally I have been on the lookout for more perfect caps in different cloths and colours.
And just recently I came across Paul Booth from Kempston, Bedfordshire; a trained tailor and cutter with more than 25 years of experience in making hats and caps.

Caps from TheTitfer - a Tam O Shanter and a 1920s cap in a generous fit.

Paul makes proper caps by hand in fine  materials and brilliant designs and sells them via his small Etsy store: TheTitfer.

From the many designs - of which more looks like reproductions of vintage caps - I immediately fell for "the Hunter"; a distinctive 1920s cap in a generous fit made from a brown houndstooth check soft brushed wool cloth and lined in silk.
The caps are made to order and you have have every possibility to choose size, cloth and participate in the design via direct communication with Paul. You can even bring your own fabrics for your special cap.
When you place an order Paul is immediately making the cap and in constant communication on the progress.
The Hunter proved to be as great as the pictures at Etsy promised; a perfect fit, good proportions,  excellent craftmanship, and great colours. I am genuinely impressed with the cap and the speed of delivery.

A houndstooth check cap in a generous fit; a 1920s design.

I greatly recommend TheTitfer and if you are looking for a cap I urge you to visit this shop and discuss possibilities with Paul.

Based on the first good impression of TheTitfer I decided to ask Paul if he could make me a Tam O Shanter cap for my kilt attire.
After communication on design and materials and seeing pictures of his first mockup for the cap I made the order and asked Paul to do a few photos of the process for this blog; I wanted to share this experience with you.

The vintage 1940s Khaki cloth cut from pattern
Lined in red silk











Mr. Paul Booth showing the first mockup and final result of my Tam O Shanter
The result: a beautiful Tam O Shanter in a vintage 1940s khaki, lined in silk; just perfect for my kilt attire!

Walking along river Gudenå in my Ancient Bruce Tartan Kilt, my 1950s green all-wool Kilspindie knit slipover and my new Tam O Shanter from The Titfer

No comments:

Post a Comment